When it comes to beauty, I’ve learned that good skin is more about what goes into my body than what goes onto it. No amount of anti-wrinkle cream is going to help my lines if I don’t drink enough water and nothing will hide the dark circles if I am deprived of sleep.
I don’t always practice what I preach, but the one thing I try to maintain is a bathroom cabinet of chemical-free, ‘safe’ products for me and my family. Because whatever we put on our skin is absorbed into our body and our bloodstream. Scarily so.
Fortunately, safe doesn’t have to mean boring. Being Content is a little apothecary of holistic beauty and skincare products in Marylebone, London, with cult, cool beauty brands that are all free of synthetic chemicals. It’s so much more inspiring than going to a big department store beauty counter – and I feel reassured by their strict criteria concerning what goes into the products they stock (read their list of what is deemed to be toxic here).
Here are 5 products I can’t live without, all found at Being Content:
1. Soapwalla Deodorant Cream. £14. Rub a small amount of this dry paste under your armpits, stay fresh and clean all day. It works a treat and lasts forever. Prepare to be amazed.
2. RMS Beauty Lipshine in Sacred. £22. Quite possibly the freshest, prettiest red on the planet. As seen on Miranda Kerr. I love everything Rose-Marie Swift does (special RMS blog post coming soon).
3. MV gentle cream cleanser. £34.50. So soft, I can’t believe it lifts all the debris so well. For blissfully clean, soothed, non-squeaky skin. And a rose scent that’s good for the soul.
4. Dr Alkalitis organic enzyme exfoliating mask. £47.75. I have angry skin, so the word exfoliate terrifies me. This is made from oats and is so pure you could eat it.
5. Therapie Roques O’Neill Joie Uplifting Bath Infusion. £44. I used to visit Michelle Roques-O’Neill for aromatherapy massage and was thrilled to see her products on their shelves. This one has magic in it, I swear.
Sadly, I have yet to find a match for my Armani foundation and I’m too vain to give it up. But I remain hopeful, and willing to down a few extra gallons of water to help my organs process the rubbish in it. Cheers.
BANK HOLIDAY OFFER: Being Content is offering 15% off – enter HOLIDAY at checkout – ends midnight 26th May (GMT).
Being Content: 14 Bulstrode St, Marylebone, London, W1U 2JG
+44(0)20 3075 1006